April 5 – 7 the bugs will be boiling and a “bon temp” will be had by all at the first annual Pearland Crawfish Festival. The Pearland Crawfish Festival takes the friendly, relaxed fun and community feel of a small town fair and serves it up big.
We’ll be serving hot, fresh crawfish at $3.50 a pound at multiple stations throughout the festival, along with the best of Cajun dishes and classic festival fare. The festival will take place on a 50 acre lot on the West side of HWY 288 between Broadway (FM 518) and FM 2234 donated by Shadow Creek Ranch, providing perfect visibility and plenty of room for fun, crawfish at multiple stations, stages, and parking at the festival site.
The mix of flavors includes the live music with the area's best Zydeco, Texas Country, and The Houston Blues Society will bring in the blues. There will be costumed performers and activities, crawfish races, crawfish-eating contests, and more will continue throughout the event. Performers will mingle with vendors of gifts, arts and crafts. A Children's Area will provide plenty of activities and fun for kids. All of Pearland is ready to join in and help show the world all that makes life here so special.
- $3.50 a Pound Crawfish: We’re bringing in the best farm-raised Crawfish the Gulf Coast has to offer at a great price. The crawfish is being handled by Swamp Shack Catering - world-class, professional boilers who learned the art deep in the bayous of Louisiana. They have supplied crawfish and catered events, festivals, and high profile parties along the Gulf Coast. This will assure great crawfish, served fast and hot, spiced, just right, and professional handling in high volume of the signature feature of the Festival.
- Houston Blues Society Stage: The Houston Blues Society is dedicated to the study, research and preservation of the blues culture and music unique to Houston, Texas and the Texas Gulf Coast. They will provide a stage showcasing this iconic music of overcoming struggle that has deep traditions joining Texas and Louisiana. | Performers To Be Announced
- Bayou Stage: The best in regional Zydeco, Country, and Classic Rock Bands. | Performers To Be Announced
- Games Stage:
Crawfish Eating Contest: Contestants compete for the championship over the three days of the event.
The Gulf Coast Washer Pitching Championship: Presented by Big Daddy Washer Boards, competitors will vie for the title of Washer Champion in this popular horseshoes-like game and a trophy board.
- Festival Vendors: The festival will feature rows of vendors with the best of arts, crafts, gifts and more from Pearland, the Greater Houston-Gulf Coast Area and around the country.
- Children’s Area: will provide all patrons need to keep their kids busy and having fun during the event.
Above all, this festival is all about the food- in addition to the $3.50 a lb crawfish we have a lot more to offer...
There's more food to enjoy at the Pearland Crawfish Festival than great crawfish! Cajun cuisine grew out of the bayou culture, where people with a love of great food and good times had to make do with what was available. Applying sheer artistry to simple ingredients, they created unique blends of rich flavors and lively spices that captivated the world. Seafood and game from the bayous and bays, meat, sausage, and vegetables from the farms, and the bountiful supply of herbs and spices from the woods and swamps learned over generations have been joined in almost endless variations. Our Vendors proudly offer the best of the tradition, as well as classic festival fare.
In Pearland, you’ll find a highly skilled, productive workforce, outstanding schools, safe neighborhoods and a superb quality of life. Mix these attributes with dynamic, business-friendly community leaders and it's no wonder that Pearland, located just south of Houston, is the fastest growing city in the region. In fact, "fast growth" is an understatement. Since 2000, this community of over 91,000 residents has increased in size by 142 percent. As the second fastest growing city in Texas and the 15th in the nation, Pearland is a thriving community with a diverse young workforce, with the average resident age at 33 years.
About The Friends of Pearland Westside Library
In the last ten years the city of Pearland has seen its population grow exponentially; most occurring on the west side around Hwy 288 and FM 518 (Broadway). The Friends of Pearland Westside Library is an organization created for and dedicated to the establishment and support of a public library to serve Pearland’s Westside. Currently, the city’s population of over 129,000 is served by one library on the east side, requiring commute times of 20 to 30 minutes each way for west side residents. In 2012, both Brazoria County Commissioners and Pearland City Council approved the plans and authorized funding for a store front location of approximately 6,000 square feet to be located in the HEB Center at Hwy 288 and FM 518. The Friend’s Group is working to raise additional funds to help pay for books, equipment, materials, and supplies above and beyond the initial investment the City of Pearland has committed. Efforts are currently under way to solicit donations from businesses and individuals who value the many benefits a full service library provides.